[texbirds] Re: Clay-colored Thrush in Jim Wells County

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gnbaker92@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2015 13:23:25 -0500

Jim Wells County is very lightly birded these days. I would guess it
is still using the old filters and has never been updated. I saw your
record of the Thrush's in eBird. If you do a search in eBird for
Clay-colored thrush you will see that are pretty far out of the
regular reports.

My guess is these birds are actually more common in the right habitat
in that part of the state, but since that is a lightly birded part of
the state and there isn't much access they don't get detected very
often.

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Noreen Baker <gnbaker92@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In a small world kind of moment, my Dad, stepmom and I also visited Lake
Findley Park this past weekend. We were there late Friday evening and saw
two Clay-colored Thrushes, both of which were actively carrying food items
into one of the large live oaks just below the dam. We commented on how it
would be nice to get photos but I had brilliantly forgot my camera at home,
so no photos of thrushes or any other bird over the weekend. In any case,
they seem to have an active nest. I entered them into eBird with no
questions asked, so didn't think too much more about it. eBird also did
not burp at my entry of 50 Couch's Kingbirds which surprised me as I had no
idea they congregated in such large numbers.
Noreen Baker
Austin, TX

On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 8:11 AM, David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You know, those Clay-colored Thrush are actually pretty significant,
They might even be a first county record., I bet Jim Peterson would
love a photo if you got one.
--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX

On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 9:52 PM, <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Speaking of cuckoos, about a week ago I stopped by Lake Findley in Alice
to see what was up. On the entrance road, there were three Groove-billed
Anis and a Roadrunner having a clucking contest. I also heard an ani call
that I hadn't heard before, kind of a high whistle they gave as they called
across the road to each other. Maybe a young one calling his parent?

Also of note, a pair of Clay-colored Thrushes trying to intimidate a
squirrel, Lark Sparrow foraging under a tree, Northern Bob White calling -
and seen - and Northern Mockingbirds to beat the band.

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi