[texbirds] Chuck-will's-widow Bastrop and RFI

  • From: Michael Goebel <micraygoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2014 12:32:40 -0800 (PST)

Had a Chuck-will's-widow calling this morning about 7:00 AM as I went out for
the newspaper (live in Bastrop near the intersection of Hwy 71 and CR 1209).
This is the fourth morning in the last week that I have heard them (the first
day per my calendar was Feb.24th).  Always on a darker overcast morning like
today, and of the times I have heard them, within the 6:45-8:30 AM timeframe.
Could have been there earlier or latter, don't know, that' just when I have
been out to hear them.
We have them every year from Spring through Summer, but this seems pretty early
to me.  Checked eBird for Bastrop and it confirms first arrival in late March.

Now here's the thing, I have yet to hear them call at night.  I am usually
outside for 5-10 minutes every couple of hours until about 11:00 PM to get a
stretch, check the stars, and just listen.  Seems to me in years past they just
show up calling one night and then they are here for the season.  Sometimes
hear them in the morning then.

What I'm wondering is, with the morning only calls, does anyone have an opinion
on whether these might be migrating birds just passing through early, or is
there some other behavior involved?

Mike Goebel
Bastrop, TX