[texbirds] Christmas Mountains and Big Bend trip 6/15-17/13

  • From: dhanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 22:46:28 -0400 (EDT)

rolyn Ohl-Johnson's place and yes we saw some Black-chinned and Lucifers
Hummingbirds as well as?Scaled Quail, Black-throated Sparrow, House Finches, WW
Doves, Bronze Cowbirds and Brown-headed Cowbirds. Before we left Alpine though
we went out to the Cemetery and saw Bronze Cowbirds, Western Tanagers, Cactus
Wren, Curve-billed Thrashers, and of course European Starlings.
?
Yesterday 6/16 we took the hike up to Boot Canyon in Big Bend and after Jan
gave up and went down a ways and sat down for awhile I finally after 1.5 hrs
found the Western and Flame Colored Tanagers. The bird was eventually a little
further down the trail but is was very actively chasing the female Western
Tanager through the trees and was very hard to get a good look at. I had heard
the bird several times before finally catching a very quick look at both of
them I finally saw them about 3 different times but was never able to catch up
to them and get a picture and finally gave up because it was getting late. We
also saw Bush Tit's, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, Black-crested Titmice,
Black-headed Grosbeaks, Scotts Orioles, Mexican Jays and on the way down a
Hepatic Tanager which I did get pictures of. Also a couple of Flycatchers I
might need help ID'ing later. I think one was a Ash-throated Flycatcher but I
need to look at the pictures when I get time. None of the flycatchers were
calling at all. It was mid afternoon after all.
?
Today 6/17 we drove from Big Bend to Fort Davis with plans to stay at the state
park. It was so early we decided to go out and check out the Madera Canyon
Trail the Natures Conservancy owns, It had been raining when we got to Fort
Davis and it was nice maybe mid 70's. We started the hike and had gone to the
pond and were making the loop when another thunderstorm threatened so we were
walking real fast to get back before it hit. The wind was blowing real hard so
singing birds were hard to hear and we saw very few up there. About 600 yds
from making it down the bottom fell out and we ended up making it back to the
car in a downpour and hail storm. It rained so hard the road was already
starting to go under at the creek crossing and numerous other places along the
way back. By the way that trail head is about 8 miles past the McDonald
Observatory.
?
Pictures when I get time and better internet access.
?
David and Jan Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
currently in Fort Davis