[texbirds] Austin (Travis/Williamson Co.) - breeding birds of note (local interest)

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:05:23 -0700 (PDT)

I just wanted to report a few locally breeding birds that I found interesting
here in Austin.  In my NW Austin (Williamson Co.) neighborhood, there appears
to be a pair of Broad-winged Hawks.  They were circling overhead and calling
yesterday and this evening I observed one being mobbed by a grackle.
On Saturday June 15th, after a nice hike led by Mikael Behrens on behalf of the
Hill Country Conservancy at their Nalle Bunny Run Preserve (Travis Co.) where I
got Golden-fronted Woodpecker and Yellow-throated Warbler, Veena Mohan and I
did a little exploring of some other nearby areas.  Namely, Emma Long Park, the
north end of which is in my patch.  We did not actually spend much time in the
park, but we did drive Pearce Road, along which there was a singing Northern
Parula down by the river and a singing Chipping Sparrow up on the mesa top.

Rich

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austin, Texas 78701