[texbirds] Re: Cerulean?

  • From: Clayton Leopold <passerinaciris12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 07:55:06 -0500

Monte - I am sorry for how I responded to your email. I was only trying to
help, and what I said about the bad call was wrong of me. When I posted the
picture I thought I was simply showing you what a cerulean is. I never
meant to rub it into your face or anything. I promise I am a much better
received birder in person, and if I would have ran into you at Lafitte's
that day, I would have given you the in depth differences between the two.
I honestly and truly never meant for this to be a public embarrassment for
the both of us. When I said don't let the mean and pushy birders deter you,
I never thought I would be received as such. Once again I am sorry and I
genuinely am here to help.
All - I never intended for this to turn into hate mail for Monte and a
discussion about stereotypical birders. I never intended for my response to
haze him, I honestly thought that the way I responded was friendly and
genuine. I am very sorry. I was wrong with the way I approached this, and
should have prepared a response with in depth explanations. In my mind when
I saw this, comparing a flycatcher with a warbler is like asking if a great
blue heron is a tricolored. They could look similar but a simple flip
through a book would show otherwise. He is capable enough to use this email
listserv, I assume he can use google. This is why I did not offer an in
depth response, rather a suggestion for a good field guide. The people that
do know me can attest when I say that I am not a person that looks down on
people, or is just plain mean. I have been misunderstood with my response
and I want to right this any way possible. I don't consider myself prideful
to the point that I look down on other birders, regardless of experience
levels. This hobby is supposed to be fun and that is the way that I
approach it. I have always been helpful at pointing out birds, explaining
why they are different and the general things about each. Please don't let
this one misinterpreted email give you a bad idea about me.

So with all of this being said, I would appreciate it if this all stops
with my response here, there is no need to say more.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 5:19 PM, Monte <monte.phillips@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Found this at Lafitte's Cove. Is it a Cerulean Warbler?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-EPQieP25mJM/VS2QkHcWFhI/AAAAAAAAGAM/yjIO00wLwX4/s800/IMG_1511.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7UNouCSZhnc/VS2QkLG1raI/AAAAAAAAGAQ/2vWEX9XRVgQ/s800/IMG_1512.jpg

also some storm battered Hooded Orioles at 2 Dead Cows

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-FVaZhZWg6eU/VS2Qsj56VZI/AAAAAAAAGAg/518GRymCgpc/s800/IMG_1504.jpg

--
Monte Texas City
https://picasaweb.google.com/monte.phillips