[texbirds] Central Brazos Valley- 5/12 & 5/13

  • From: Darrell Vollert <dvollert1967@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 18:53:25 -0700 (PDT)

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Texbirders,

Saturday morning we birded a large privately-owned tract of land near Hearne in
Robertson County. Birding was very good and the temperature was very pleasant.
A good number of warblers were moving through the woods high in the trees and
flying overhead that we could not get our binoculars on. Here are the birds we
encountered from 7:30AM-11:30AM.

Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk- 3
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Mourning Dove
Inca Dove
Barred Owl- a pair
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker- heard
Eastern Wood-Pewee- 1
Acadian Flycatcher
Great Crested Flycatcher- a pair
White-eyed Vireo
Yellow-throated Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
American Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Swainson's Thrush
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Cedar Waxwing- flock heard overhead
Black-and-white Warbler- one female
Swainson's Warbler- 2
Tennessee Warbler- one observed and several others heard
Nashville Warbler- one
Northern Parula- one observed singing
American Redstart- 2 adult males and 2 female/imm. males
Chestnut-sided Warbler- 2
Pine Warbler- one bird in juvenal plumage
Canada Warbler- one heard singing
Summer Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Painted Bunting
Orchard Oriole- one adult male

On my way back to Chappell Hill on Saturday afternoon I stopped at a
privately-owned property in the Peach Creek Community in southern Brazos
County. I spent about two hours birding the property and birding was good.
Highlights from the Navasota Bottoms.

Wood Duck- a pair
Chimney Swift- 2
Swainson's Thrush- 2
Northern Waterthrush- one heard
Prothonotary Warbler- 4
Swainson's Warbler- 3, including one with a band(I've banded this species on
the property, but not in two years.)
Tennessee Warbler- 2
Mourning Warbler- 1 observed, possibly 2 birds
American Redstart- 1
Northern Parula- 1 bird in juvenal plumage
Magnolia Warbler- 2
Blackburnian Warbler- 1
Chestnut-sided Warbler- 1
Canada Warbler- 1 observed singing
Wilson's Warbler- 1

This morning I birded my Chappell Hill property in Washington County from
7:10AM till around 8:30AM. Vireos and warblers were singing vigorously. Here's
a partial list.

Blue-headed Vireo- one(late for them here)
Warbling Vireo- one
Red-eyed Vireo- 2
Chestnut-sided Warbler- one male
American Redstart- one adult male and one imm. male
Black-throated Green Warbler- one male
Magnolia Warbler- one male and female
Common Yellowthroat- one male

Darrell Vollert