[texbirds] Cedar Hill Park (Lake Charlotte), Chambers County

  • From: Chuck Davis <chuck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:41:21 -0500

Texbirders,
I spend a pleasant couple of hours yesterday morning, June 18th, birding at
Cedar Hill Park (Lake Charlotte) in Chambers County. I walked a trail that
I don’t usually take, the long, somewhat overgrown, loop around the east
side of the park through the tall pines. I started in the southeast corner
of the large open field near the entrance, walked down to the lake near the
U-shaped boardwalk, then walked east parallel to the lake shore to the park
boundary, and then followed the trail north until it curved back to the
large field near the entrance.

Birding highlights, at least for me, were:

1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo

6 Red-headed Woodpecker (conservative estimate - more than I’ve seen in one
place before)

1 Eastern Wood-pewee (heard only; heard from the entrance road calling from
across the large open field)

2 Great Crested Flycatcher

9 White-eyed Vireo

11 Eastern Bluebird (mostly juvenile/immatures) - entrance road

3 Prothonotary Warbler

5 Pine Warbler

2 Summer Tanager (female gathering nesting material) - entrance road

Checklist - http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S14451059

Chuck Davis
La Porte