[texbirds] Re: Capitalization of bird (and other critter) names

  • From: mtwoman <mtwoman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: z-Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:40:12 -0500

Quite awhile ago, I submitted a request post to Texbirds for clarification
on this...and got no response. Now, I am checking the posts on this
subject, and am more confused than ever. As most of you know, I am an
amateur birder, and gathering info as I go...Texbirds being a main source,
along with my ref books. However, even though I am an amateur, I do care
about the proper way of doing things.
I cannot find a statement in all these posts that clarifies the proper way
to write bird names!! Am I to presume there isn't one?

Because I got no response initially, I looked hard in my ref books...and
found them all doing it differently. But, I found the most common way was
to capitalize all words in the 'common' names, as in: 'Western Screech Owl'
and the Latin names were all italic, with only the first word capitalized,
as in: '*Otus kennicottii'*. My Peterson bird book capitalizes the whole
common name, as in: 'LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER', and capitalizes only the first
word in the latin name, as in: '*Limnodromus scolopaceus'.*

So...is there a "proper" way? And if not, is there a common, acceptable way?

Tzila "Z" Duenzl
Weatherford, Texas