[texbirds] Good stuff from Friday the 20th

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 06:36:27 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
After a very long day at work at the TTU HSC on Friday, 20 September 2013,  I
headed on out to the car.  On the way I looked for migrants in the oaks at the
northwest corner of the building.  No flycatchers, no vireos, no thrushes, no
tanagers, no grosbeaks.  Nothing of note at all except for 4 Dickcissels.  This
is the first time I have seen Dickcissels on the TTU HSC campus and the
microhabitat was odd.  There has been a spate of Dickcissel detection in and
over Lubbock during the last two weeks; this being particularly notable as the
species was close to absent from the entire region during the breeding season.

On the way home I stopped at Higginbotham and, in the fading light, picked up
fifteen species of bird, including 2 Black-necked Stilts, 3 Greater Yellowlegs,
1 Baird's Sandpiper, and 8 Long-billed Dowitchers - an amaing diversity and
number of shorebirds by this season's standards.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson, Lubbock