[texbirds] Cannon Road Loop

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 17:34:07 -0400 (EDT)

Guess the new e-mail is still being moderated,  so here we go with the old
one! :-)

Hi, all!

The loop was  pretty productive this morning, although I had to kinda do it
backwards as these  biting gnats (plus some dicey conditions) wouldn’t let
me go straight up Cannon,  although an Upland Sandpiper in the field was
nice!  The gate to the  section of the NWR along Rangerville Road was open, so
I swung in there to take  a peek at the reservoir (which was pretty quiet),
but a calling Least Bittern  and Yellow Warbler were good for the day, along
with a single Bank  Swallow.  The “Rangerville Resaca” had a mob of
swallows along the power  lines—mostly Barns but with a good number of Caves
and
about a dozen Purple  Martins.  Both night herons were represented along with
a White Ibis.   The Ebony Unit overlook was so overgrown that you couldn’t
see into the resaca,  but thankfully you got a good view by poking down
Jimenez a little, and that  yielded both grebes, Mottled and Ruddy Ducks, and
both “swimming  rails”.

Backtracking westbound on Jimenez of course yielded lots of  Tropical
Kingbirds, more upset Cave Swallows at the little bridge (along with an  Ani),
and the only Harris’ Hawk of the day.  Cannon Road from that end  actually
looked pretty decent, so I headed south, but the “ear-splitting  cicadas”
drowned out most everything.  Had to negotiate that dicey spot  after all so “
Diggory” had his first experience in four-wheelin’! J   Heading back up
Weaver Road had more Uppies in the plowed fields, a Blue  Grosbeak in the cane
fields, and the sod farm was alive with Long-billed  Dowitchers, Stilt
Sandpipers, Lesser Yellowlegs, and a few Least Sandpipers,  Black Terns, and a
single Forster’s (if there was anything more interesting in  there I couldn’t
find it, but I notified Rex—if anyone can find a goodie, HE  can)!  A young
Green Heron was most cooperative and several Band-winged  Dragonlets buzzed
around as well.  Picked up Horned Larks at the curve, and  then looped back
down to check out Adams Garden Reservoir; a big canal keeps one  from going
all the way around, but I did most of it and picked up more Black and  Forster
’s Terns, and in the area where you’re next to the NWR again (on the
southeast side) heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo singing!  Lots of Fulvous
Whistling Ducks were using the lake, and there were also these tiny little
orange
and black bugs hovering around that reminded me of Florida’s “love bugs”  in
their behavior, but the picture I got looked more like some kind of soldier
 beetle (best I could determine from the book).

Pictures and  recordings are  here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/phot
o_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/September/Cannon%20Road%20Loop.html

Bird  List:

Cannon Loop, Cameron, US-TX
Sep 1, 2014 7:10 AM - 11:33  AM
Protocol: Traveling
25.0 mile(s)
Comments:      81 - 86 degrees; mostly sunny & calm to a mix of sun &
clouds with  slight breeze
69 species (+1 other taxa)

Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck  30
Fulvous Whistling-Duck  40