[texbirds] Canadian Geese in Summer

  • From: Jay Packer <jay@xxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 21:47:35 -0500

I saw a Canadian Goose today at Independence Park in Sugarland, TX, Fort
Bend County. Except for worn plumage, the bird looked perfect. The size and
shape of the bill ruled out Cackling, and there were no bands on the bird
nor had the primaries been clipped. The same could not be said of the
company the bird kept. It was hanging out with a goose that clearly was not
of wild origin. This second bird appeared to be descended from a Canada
Goose and a white domestic goose. Perhaps one sired the other...

So I'm wondering, how does one place this critter? I ask for listing
purposes, which I would be ashamed of, except that I'm genuinely interested
in the question, and the listing game is the thing that keeps me birding in
the 7th level (summertime) of hell (Houston). Please, I mean no offense to
those of you who call this place home. It's just that I prefer my 100
degree temperatures without 100 percent humidity.

I've heard that it's not been uncommon for Canada Geese to find a suitable
spot and stay past the winter. Then there's also the possibility of a bird
that's not prepared to migrate, due to poor health or feather condition.

Any advice? Thanks!

--
Jay Packer
(sent from my phone)