[texbirds] Ring-necked Duck surprise (!) in Hidalgo Co. (05/27/12)

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 20:51:23 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Today (Sunday, 05/27/12), in the late afternoon, we birded Brushline Road between FM-490 and Hwy. (TX-?) 186. Our best outcomes by far along that stretch were at a flooded field on the east side of Brushline that had Blue Water Lilly blooming in it. (This would seem to have been noticeably farther than half way north in the stretch between the aforementioned highways.)

There we had a delightful surprise by way of a handsome drake breeding-plumaged RING-NECKED DUCK, a species not to be expected at this time, indeed that has a very low probability of occurrence at present (as I would judge from four literature sources that I examined). Additional ducks at this flooded field were FULVOUS WHISTLING DUCK (24) and MOTTLED DUCK (2). A single LEAST GREBE also was present.

The beauty of this placid scene was enhanced by the presence of many flowering Blue Lilly Pads, and a flooded field brimming with those flowers on the east side of Brushline Road marks the place of our big surprise of the day.

Rex and Birgit Stanford
McAllen, TX. Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds