[texbirds] Cameron Co: Mont Meta Cemetery, San Benito - 24 April 2013

  • From: Michael Marsden <valleybirders@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 18:49:45 -0500

Donna and I came across a goodish number of migrants at San Benito's Mont
Meta Cemetery in a brief visit this afternoon, including:
  Eastern Wood-Pewee (5)
  Warbling Vireo (1)
  Blue-headed Vireo (1)
  Red-eyed Vireo (3)
  Summer Tanager (3)
  Ovenbird (1)
  Black-and-white Warbler (3)
  Tennessee Warbler (10+)
  Orange-crowned Warbler (1)
  Nashville Warbler (1)
  Cerulean Warbler (1)
  Blackburnian Warbler (1)
  Blackpoll (1) &
  Black-throated Green Warbler (1).
I'm beginning to understand why in their ABA guide Mel Cooksey & Ron Weeks
describe the cemetery as "one of the Rio Grande Valley's most underrated
birding spots"!

Two oddities: there were no orioles, buntings or grosbeaks at the cemetery
even though our yard in San Benito has been ablaze with them throughout the
day; and when I went back there about 4:30pm everything other than the
pewees and tanagers seemed to have left.

Michael Marsden
956-276-4409
San Benito, TX