[texbirds] Calliope in Friendswood - new yard bird

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 20:13:43 -0500

Hi Texbirders,

I was intrigued with the discussion about the possible Calliope in
southwest Houston several days ago.

I have had this small hummer coming to my feeder for a couple of
weeks. I assumed it was a Black-chinned as that is my usual green
backed winter hummer.
On Sunday I was in the yard and saw a tiny hummer in a tree and he
came to the feeder. I grabbed my binos and saw the long feather on
left side of his neck.

It reminded me of the Calliope at LaFitte's Cove last year about this time.

Got a few photos this morning and the wings project beyond the tail.

I think this guy is the real deal...first year male Calliope. I hope
he sticks around and can watch his gorget grow out.

http://www.pbase.com/image/154810628

Please let me know if my ID is incorrect. Thanks.

Good Birding,

David McDonald
Friendswood TX