[texbirds] Re: Call for Bolivar protection/please sign petition..

  • From: Winnie <wbburkett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: MBB22222@xxxxxxx, texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 06:29:18 -0400 (EDT)

Mark you have once again touched on a lot of issues and it is difficult if not
impossible to get into all of them here. From my point of view the biggest
problem Least Terns and all other birds have is too many people. More and more
people move to Houston every day and most want to go to the beach. They need
education and we as people who care about birds need to be part of that effort
every day we are in the field.

I started working to protect Bolivar Flats Least Terns in 1992. Posting the
colony worked well and talking to beach goers and fishermen was very
satisfying. Then the raccoons and coyotes figured out what was going on and
reproductive success went down. Least Terns have lots of predator problems not
just mammals. Laughing Gulls and grackles get the eggs and chicks. I have heard
even ghost crabs eat them. Houston Audubon has an intern who will be looking
for nesting Least Terns,  protecting nesting locations and educating the
public. You could help with this effort by donating to their Intern Fund.

The years after Ike were actually very good for Least Terns as large areas on
the peninsula were covered with sand (perfect for Least Tern nesting) and
predator numbers were knocked back by the storm surge. Grass has grown and
predator population has increased things keep changing.

As a Bolivar Peninsula property owner and sanctuary manager for Houston Audubon
I have been very involved in hurricane recovery on the peninsula. Yes there is
money for a fishing pier in Gilchrist it comes from FEMA to compensate for
recreational opportunities lost due to Ike and cleanup. It will be a great
place for birding too, but each year that building is delayed the money builds
less.

I am on the board of a Bolivar Peninsula non-profit whose goal is rebuilding
the peninsula economy while protecting its natural resources. You see the
peninsula will rebuild wether we like it or not, that is unless we can find
millions of dollars to buy up the land and protect. Protecting the natural
resources is supported by many Bolivar residents and businesses as they know
that is why people come to the peninsula.

I would be happy to sit down and talk to you about all these issues if you have
the time. It is really too complicated for this forum.

Winnie Burkett
Friendswood & the Bolivar Peninsula