[texbirds] Brown Thrasher & Winter Wren @ Edinburg WBC, Hidalgo Co.

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 13:03:35 -0600

Hello, Texbirders
We had our weekly Tuesday Bird walk this morning and it was a nice one!

Just before we got started, myself and another birder got some good looks
at the *Brown Thrasher *as it perched in a Mulberry tree that's at the NW
corner of the main grounds. The bird seems to move around the
Interpretative center freely, but it's been seen in the same corner the
last couple of days. It's a very rare bird for the LRGV.

All 3 N. American species of *Kingfisher* were seen at the North Pond this
morning.

4 *Snow Geese* also flew into the pond and swam around for a short while,
which was a nice surprise!

The *Winter Wren* was re-found in the Forest Trail after about 2 weeks of
no reports. It was vocalizing and giving a harsh trilling call.

Ducks were finally swimming around over in the South Pond, with a lone
*Cinnamon
Teal* being the highlight.

The bird walk was very successful with 62 species recorded!!

The Park will be closed Christmas Eve and Day, but regular hours (7am-6pm)
will resume on Friday. Come on by!

Below is the full morning's list.

Great holiday birding to all,

Edinburg WBC Naturalist Educator, Hidalgo Co.
-Javi Gonzalez

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TX
Dec 23, 2014 8:15 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Area
40.0 ac
Comments:     Tuesday Bird Walk
62 species (+1 other taxa)

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  1
Greater White-fronted Goose  26
Snow Goose  4
Gadwall  2
Mallard  2
Blue-winged Teal  20
Cinnamon Teal  1
Northern Shoveler  20
Green-winged Teal  10
Lesser Scaup  6
Ruddy Duck  4
Plain Chachalaca  5
Pied-billed Grebe  4
Neotropic Cormorant  15
Double-crested Cormorant  10
American White Pelican  18
Great Blue Heron  3
Great Egret  3
Snowy Egret  12
Tricolored Heron  1
Black-crowned Night-Heron  5
Turkey Vulture  3
Osprey  1
American Coot  12
Spotted Sandpiper  3
Least Sandpiper  25
Inca Dove  3
White-tipped Dove  1
Mourning Dove  8
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Buff-bellied Hummingbird  3
Ringed Kingfisher  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Green Kingfisher  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  2
Great Kiskadee  4
Tropical Kingbird  1
Couch's Kingbird  3
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  1
Loggerhead Shrike  1
White-eyed Vireo  5
Blue-headed Vireo  3
House Wren  7
Winter Wren  1     Continuing bird refound during the bird walk. In the
Forest Trail vocalizing. Small, rich brown colored wren with short stubby
tail.
Bewick's Wren  2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  4
Curve-billed Thrasher  2
Brown Thrasher  1     Continuing, Seen before the bird walk in the bushes
just west of the North Pond overlook. NW corner of the main grounds.
Observed with one other birder from up north that is familiar with them.
Long-billed Thrasher  4
Northern Mockingbird  3
Black-and-white Warbler  1
Orange-crowned Warbler  6