[texbirds] Re: Brazos Bend SP 1/17

  • From: Bob and Ruth Friedrichs <twofried@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jlt290@xxxxxxxxx" <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 21:41:14 -0600

John and Texbirders:

I stopped off at Brazos Bend SP on the way to Palacios this afternoon.  It was
my first visit to this park; very nice place.  The big marsh behind 40 Acre
Lake was phenomenal.  The Cinnamon Teal reported earlier by John were still
there.  A very nice male Yellow-headed Blackbird came in to roost along with
tens of thousands of Red-winged Blackbirds.  The number of blackbirds roosting
in that swamp is incredible.  There were also quite large numbers of White
Ibis, Black-bellied Whistling Duck and a variety of other waders and ducks
coming in to roost.  It was definitely worth waiting until dusk for the great
show.

BTW, heard from another birder that the morning bird walk around the lake
netted a Yellow-breasted Chat, Sora and Pine Warbler along with the other
qusual suspects.

Bob Friedrichs
Houston / Palacios

Sent from my iPad