[texbirds] Brazoria NWR 5/10-11/2015

  • From: Pete Romfh <pete.romfh@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 23:37:46 -0500

As we finished volunteer tasks Sunday & Monday we were able to spend a couple
of hours watching the mud flats and shallow ponds on the auto tour at Brazoria
NWR. Both Olney and Crosstrail ponds had white-faced ibis along with the usual
residents.

But the "happening" spots were at the southeast corner of the loop. The large,
shallow ponds at Roscoe Terrace, Rogers Pond and at the end of the Salt Lake
road were filled with birds.

What I can remember included:

Phalaropes
Blue Teals
Dunlins
Sandpipers (stilt, western, spotted, and more)
Whimbrel
Dowitcher
Plovers (semipalmated)
Spoonbills
Avocets
Cowbirds
Whistling Ducks
Egrets (Great, reddish, and several others)
Scissortailed Flycatchers
Herons (great blue, little blue, and tricolor)

And a large variety of little, fast moving peeps that I'm still learning to
sort out.

Pete Romfh
Houston, TX

Sent from my iPadEdit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at