[texbirds] Re: Hudsonian Godwits

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bob Friedrichs <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 23:01:25 -0500

Inspired by Harry's report of HUDSONIAN GODWIT (HUGO) today, I thought I
should report that we, joined subsequently by two friends, yesterday
(Sunday, 05/10/15) found five HUGO's in a flooded field on the east side of
FM-493 approximately a half-mile south of Nittler Road (Hidalgo Co.). The
HUGO's there were joined by a lovely breeding-plumaged AMERICAN AVOCET and
a PECTORAL SANDPIPER, plus two handsome adult SWAINSON'S HAWKS in the
adjacent field. We found two additional HUGO's in a well-flooded arroyo on
the south side of FM-490 a short distance east of FM-490's dog-leg that
lies north of Hargill. That site is in Willacy County. The HUGO's were in
the Willacy County instance joined by additional shorebird species that
included LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (one of them in superb breeding condition),
several STILT SANDPIPER (some in spectacular breeding plumage), WILSON'S
PHALAROPE (1, seen by me; others saw a few additional), and LEAST SANDPIPER
(a striking individual in lovely, crisp, breeding plumage). At the Willacy
County site case the shore birds often took to the air--perhaps due to the
nearby flight of some raptors in the area, including SWAINSON'S HAWK and
WHITE-TAILED HAWK, or because shorebirds get restless in strong wind--and
we enjoyed seeing the mixed shorebird flocks in flight, including the
striking flight characteristics of the HUGO's.
Our experience yesterday showed, once again, that you do not have to be at
a famous birding site to find some exciting birds. In the case of
shorebirds, scanning every stand of water can, at the peak of shorebird
migration, provide the basis of a very enjoyable day. Part of the fun is
finding good birds where one has never previously seen them, and rain can
bring in its wake some delightful surprises.

Rex and Birgit Stanford
Weslaco, TX.

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:39 PM, Bird.fried <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Harry,

Congratulations! I didn't know there were rice fields along FM 616. Did
you get some good shots?

Bob
Aguas Calientes, Peru

Sent from my iPad

On May 11, 2015, at 6:57 PM, HARRY FORBES <hforbes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

in Jackson Co in a rice field being flooded. Location was on FM 616
about 6 miles east of La Ward.
Harry Forbes (San Antonio and Port Alto)

Reposting of traffic from TEXBIRDS is prohibited without seeking
permission