[texbirds] Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks and Song Sparrow in Lubbock

  • From: Ross Rickett <crrickett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 19:31:42 -0700 (PDT)

This afternoon, having finished a big exam for summer school, I ventured out
into the ever-oppressive Texas heat to find a bit more than I was expecting.
At Mackenzie Park, I happened upon two Black-bellied Whistling-Ducks
conspicuously perched on the snags of a large, bare tree. Finishing up my
afternoon at Lake 6, I stumbled upon a lonely (or perhaps very content) Song
Sparrow mixed in with the horde of RWBLs that reeded occupy the banks. It was
quite the day, as I hadn't birded in roughly 2 months!

Great birding,

Ross Rickett
Lubbock, Texas 79416