[texbirds] Black Phoebes at the Old Hidalgo Pumphouse

  • From: Tim Brush <txbrush5@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 14:21:15 -0500

This morning, John and I stopped by the Pumhouse (a World Birding Center
site in Hidalgo, TX) after censusing some points in the LRGVNWR nearby. As
we hoped, we saw Black Phoebes easily. There were at least 3 juveniles and
2 adults along and near the water's edge. Several were pretty close to the
boat-dock, so we were able to see them easily.
Other birds of note along city streets near the Pumphouse were at least 2
Monk Parakeets and one House Finch (rare but increasing in the Valley).

One and near the refuge tracts (not open to the public) were Gray Hawk,
Broad-winged Hawk (late immature on their way north), a few Empidonax,
Eastern Wood-Pewee, and Olive-sided Flycatcher, plus all the breeding birds
we are censusing.

Regards and good birding,
Tim Brush
Edinburg, TX