[texbirds] Birding across the Valley - Frontera Audubon Birdathon

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:02:08 -0600

Hello,
Gary Davidson and I birded from 7 to 7 today for the Frontera Birdathon. We
started at Bentsen State Park and worked our way east to finish at South
Padre Island. We were pleased to finish with a total of 150 species. Some
personal highlight birds (too many to include all of the highlights):

Fulvous Whistling-Duck (Santa Ana NWR)
Hooded Merganser (Santa Ana NWR)
Gray Hawk (Anzalduas County Park)
Zone-tailed Hawk (Anzalduas County Park)
Wilson's Plover (from the parking lot of the big fishing stop off of 48
north from Brownsville - took us a little while to figure out there
were Wilson's in with a bunch of Semipalmated Plovers)
American Oystercatcher (South Padre Island WBC)
Royal Tern (continuing and rare for Hidalgo Co. at Anzalduas)
Flammulated Owl (SPI Convention Center - got much better looks today than a
few weeks ago, saw almost the entire face) (finished with 4 owl species!)
Yellow-headed Blackbird (had at least 40 of them at the grainery on Rancho
Toluca Rd, near 1015)

We also had a really funky "dirty looking" Golden-fronted Woodpecker that
we saw at Anzalduas. Here's an acceptable shot of it. Perhaps it is
exhibiting some melanism?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/olivaceousj/8502591006/in/photostream

I'm going to echo Dan Jones on this one - don't forget to donate to
Frontera Audubon! You can donate to them any time of the year; perhaps
after you visit and enjoy their grounds!

--
John Brush
Edinburg, Texas