[texbirds] Birding McAllen Nature Center

  • From: John Brush <jsbrush10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:02:41 -0600

As part of my duties at Quinta Mazatlan WBC, I lead tours into the
now-closed McAllen Nature Center (Botanic Gardens). We had a pretty good
morning, getting lots of good looks at birds, including a cooperative
Grasshopper Sparrow. The park has good thorn scrub along with several spots
to scan canals, on which we had the sandpipers, ducks, and waders. For
those interested, the tours run every 3rd saturday of the month from now
until March (contact Quinta Mazatlan for more info). Full species list
below.
American Wigeon 1
Northern Shoveler 2
Great Blue Heron 1