[texbirds] Birding GCBO and Quintana 11/9/12

  • From: DHanson139@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 17:08:19 -0500 (EST)

Yesterday Jan and I went down and visited Sue at GCBO and checked out the
hummingbirds there. We found the Anna's, Rufous, Buff-bellied and
Black-chinned  Hummingbirds while there. We also found  a bunch of
Yellow-rumped
Warblers  and one Orage-crowned Warbler along to Bayou. Across from the office
in
the  ponds were 6 Blue-winged Teal and 3 Pied-billed Grebe.

At Quintana we jumped two large birds from the Saltcedars back close to the
 old swing by the water feature. Either one was a hawk and the other an Owl
or  both were Owls. They were not sitting together and the first we saw was
darker  in color with the second being pale like a Barn Owl. Neither of us
got a good  enough look to get a species. I also found a rare for time of
year American  Redstart at the back water feature and closer to the front was
an American  Robin. On the roadside on the right there was a Blue-headed
Vireo. Other than  those birds it was very quiet.

4:30-5:15
Went to the beach and to get there we had to go all the way West back where
 you come into Quintana and down that shell road because the sand was way
to soft  at the useuall entrance. There were Willets, Short-biller
Dowitchers, Am  Avocets, Great Egrets, Sanderlings, and an Osprey on the flats
there. O
ut on the  beach there was mostly Sanderlings, Willets, a few Black-bellied
Plovers and a  handfull of Laughing Gulls. We found one adult and one
juvenile Herring Gulls  with a few Brown Pelicans. Other than that the beach
while we were there was  pretty quiet also.

David and Jan Hanson
Baytown/Mont belvieu Area

Pictures: first two are of a new hummingbird here at our house. ID?
_http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBN
QB#!i=2205747689&k=Pkgfd4r_
(http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQB#!i=2205747689&k=Pkgfd4r)