[texbirds] "Biking for Birds" Big Year set to cross West Texas

  • From: Dorian Anderson <bikingforbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 12:08:31 -0500

Texas birders!
My name is Dorian Anderson, and I am currently involved in a HUGE birding
project for 2014. In short, I am doing a nationwide big year using only my
bicycle. I started in Boston on Jan 1, and since that time I have biked
5,100 miles to Miami and now to Austin. In these 4 months I have recorded
340 species, and I have raised over $11,000 that will be used for bird
conservation and birding programs. I have used zero petroleum, electricity,
or natural gas to cover the 5,100 miles; I won't even put my bike on a
ferry. I will direct you to my blog for any and all information you might
need or want to know about my year.

http://bikingforbirds.blogspot.com

I am going to be crossing Central and Western Texas along the I-10 corridor
in the next 2 weeks (May 1 - 16 or so). After I leave Austin, I will be
heading to Johnson City, Fredericksburg, Junction, Sonora, Ozona, Iraan,
Fort Stockton, Alpine, Kent, Van Horn, Fort Hancock, and El Paso. If you
live in any of these areas (or anywhere on I-10 west of Austin) and would
be willing to put me up for a night, please contact me at
bikingforbirds@xxxxxxxxx. I have some lodging lined up already, but its
with a shot to see what else might else be available. If people want to
bird with me that is great too.

Also, I should send out a "Hello" to all the nice Texas folks I met at High
Island, Anhuac, and Sabine Woods the past 2 weeks!

OK, that's it for the moment. Thanks for the time, I really appreciate it.

Dorian Anderson
Biking for Birds
http://bikingforbirds.blogspot.com
bikingforbirds@xxxxxxxxx