[texbirds] Re: Big Sit Richland Creek WMA North Unit

  • From: D D Currie <ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 17:41:05 -0700 (PDT)

Just a reminder that Dell Little and I are holding a Big Sit at Richland Creek
WMA - North Unit this Saturday (rain date Sunday).  If you are interesting in
participating, please RSVP to me by Thursday, October 10th. The North Unit will
be closed except to Big Sit participants.

You don't have to be there at 4am and you don't have to stay all day,
but......hoping you can stay for at least 3-4 hours to minimize the number of
trips to and from the entry gate.

Thanks
D. D. Currie

________________________________
From: D D Currie <ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Matt.Symmank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Matt.Symmank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>;
"bert2@xxxxxxxxxxx" <bert2@xxxxxxxxxxx>; "birder10050@xxxxxxxxx"
<birder10050@xxxxxxxxx>; "pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx" <pbarnes123@xxxxxxxxx>; Ruth
<jaztoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 30, 2013 8:28 PM
Subject: [texbirds] Big Sit Richland Creek WMA North Unit

Dell and I are holding a Big Sit at Richland Creek WMA North Unit on Saturday,
October 12th (rain date Sunday October 13th).  We will decide on the final
location within the WMA the day before the event.  For those interested in
county listing, the final location will be in either Freestone County or
Navarro County; both counties can be seen from two of the possible locations.
The site is officially registered as "Keep Birding Weird".
Richland Creek WMA North Unit is located in an ecotone separating the Post Oak
Savannah and Blackland Prairie ecological regions.  The area lies almost
entirely within the Trinity River flood plane and is compromised of a recently
expanded constructed wetlands consisting of over 2000 acres supporting the
Tarrant Regional Water District. The site is located off HWY 287 approximately
30 miles east of Corsicana.  In October, it is a great location for waders,
ducks, rails, shorebirds, and raptors.

Logistics for the event:

1. To participate, you will need a "Limited Public Use Permit" to access the
WMA.  This type of permit can be purchased for $12 anywhere hunting and fishing
licenses are sold.  We have had Game Wardens check us for possession of such
permits.

2.  For that weekend, access to the WMA is limited to those that are formally
participating in the event.  If you plan to participate, please RSVP to me by
Thursday, October 10th via email:  ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or by phone
817-919-8587  so we can coordinate entrance to the Big Sit.  I will send out
final details on Friday, October 11th.

3.  There are no restroom facilities at the WMA, but there are many natural
restroom locations and there is a convenience store approximately 6 miles east
of the WMA in Cayuga if you are particularly modest.

4.  Bring water, food, snacks, chairs, sunscreen, hats, and weather gear if you
plan to participate.

5.  Dell and I will be at the gate at 4am on the day of the event and will go
until dark. You don't have to stay the entire time, but we plan on doing gate
entries/exits at 3-4 hour intervals.

This is a great place to bird! Hope to see you there.

D. D. Currie