[texbirds] Big Bend N.P. Trip report

  • From: pfoster1@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2014 02:53:26 +0000

Spent the weekend  with the ladies of A-10 and B-4, enjoying the Window view
from the Chisos Mounttain Lodge. When we could tear ourselves away from the
majestic view, we got a little birding in, as well as a death march.  After our
stop at the state park in Junction, we had more than 100 Western and Clark's
Grebes at Lake Balmorhea (Thanks for the help, Heidi).  Next we had a Burrowing
Owl at the prairie dog town, accompanied by John Mariani.  We had great looks
at two Black-chinned Sparrows at Laguna Meadows, as well as a male, MAGNIFICENT
Hummingbird that stopped about 8 inches away from Teresa's face and then flew
off.  This was where Laguna Meadows Trail meets the Colima Trail.  A Black Hawk
was at the nesting area at Rio Grande Village.  Cottonwood Campground had a
singing Lucy's Warbler and a pair of nesting Gray Hawks.  The surprise bird of
the trip was a male Blackburnian Warbler at Rio Grande Village, discussed in a
separate post.  We birded The Post in Marathon.  What a delightfully birdy
spot.  We had Scott's, Hooded and Orchard Orioles, several Cuckoos, Cassin's
Kingbirds, and a Chipping Sparrow..
Susan Foster
Still hurtling down I-37 toward Rockport.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®Edit your Freelists account
settings for TEXBIRDS at