[texbirds] Re: Best spots to see hummingbirds in Big Bend?

  • From: Patricia Wight <pcwight@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: spcgraham.floyd@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:09:36 -0600

If there is a little water you may see a Lucifer's at Cattail Falls. There
is poison ivy (?) growing on the rocks there and you have to be very
careful if you're allergic. We made it, sat on the sand there across from
the falls and about 10 minutes after our arrival a male Lucifer's did a 360
for us in the mist from the falls. Lovely!
Last time we were there Blue-Throated were all over the place. One of the
Roosevelt cottages was occupied by people who had put up a feeder and as
far as I know no one complained about it, but I've never put up a feeder
there and wouldn't recommend it.

I think we stayed in Cottage 250 (?) and there was a leaky faucet in front
of it that provided a lot of good birding, especially when a ranger came to
turn on the spigot and check the water quality. He let it run for maybe 5
minutes, creating a little pool briefly.

Pat Wight
Rockport