[texbirds] Bentsen RGV Bird Walk 2/2/14

  • From: Hannah Buschert <Hannah.Buschert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TexBirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 22:06:20 +0000

Good Afternoon everyone,
This morning our best birding sites ended up being the Nature Center,
Kingfisher Overlook, and the newly flooded mini-resaca at the Headquarters.  We
have had great volunteers clean up some of the vegetation, so we are able to
partially flood this area-which the birds have really enjoyed!

We started off with two Black Phoebes at the canal and a Sharp-Shinned Hawk
flyover.  The Nature Center had all the regulars (Altimira Oriole, Clay-Colored
Thrush, and plenty of Plain Chachalacas).  We wrapped up the walk near the
Kingfisher Overlook by following the Vermilion Flycatcher around, after having
sighted 2/3 of our Kingfisher species.

Species Count
Mottled Duck                                    2
Plain Chachalaca                               17
Double-crested Cormorant         1
Snowy Egret                                       1
Osprey                                                 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk                      1
Gray Hawk                                          1
Inca Dove                                            5
White-tipped Dove                         9
Belted Kingfisher                             1
Green Kingfisher                              1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker    7
Ladder-backed Woodpecker      2
Black Phoebe                                     2
Vermilion Flycatcher                       1
Great Kiskadee                                 8
Green Jay                                            13
Black-crested Titmouse                 8
House Wren                                       2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher                   2
Clay-colored Thrush                        1
Curve-billed Thrasher                    1
Long-billed Thrasher                       1
Northern Mockingbird                   7
Orange-crowned Warbler            3
Northern Cardinal                            10
Red-winged Blackbird                    35
Great-tailed Grackle                       50
Altamira Oriole                                  2
American Goldfinch                        3
House Sparrow                                 40

Happy Superb Owl Day!

Hannah Buschert
Park Ranger 1-Naturalist
World Birding Center