[texbirds] Bastrop SP Sept 16...Manikins etc.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:51:50 -0500

****
  Finished up my Sept.period of doing Bastrop State Park and part of
Buescher S.P this morning.  It was very slow compared to previous days, but
as always there are highlights.:  There are forever highlights...My FOF
Flicker topped the cake today.
  Black-bellied Whistling Ducks  ~90
  Blue-winged Teal 10
  Broad-winged Hawks 4
  Am, Kestrel 1
  Hairy Woodpecker 4
  N. FLICKER 1 FOF
  Pileated Wood 4
  Great Crested Fly. 2
  E. Wood-Pewee 1
  Willow Fly 1
  Philadelphia Vireo 1
  House Wren 1
 warbler 6 species 2 at Fisherman's Park in Bastrop  (1 Blackburnian)
Painted Bunting 2
Indigo Buntin 4
Blue Grosbeak 2
Baltimore Orioles 8

  I ran into a couple of birder that reported a Kentucky but I did not see
it , at Buescher Lake.  Also they told me that they heard the ABA had
accepted Nutmeg Mannikin to the checklist....I can not verify this but they
told me that one of those hilarious Hilter bunker parodies was already out
about it so that I did check out and it was a hoot...I realize this is a
sensitive topic for some so if interested you's ll need to find it on
Youtube yourself....I have no clue if this is fact or fiction in terms of
ABA acceptance or what the particulars are but apparently according to them
it is very recent. So if you keep a list maybe you can claim a cheap check
mark (?)  Maybe someone can enlighten us on that and the Nanday.

  The age old topic of hybrid titmice has re-sprouted but am to tuckered to
get into that or the Ellis Whooping cranes right now..  Will also check the
critter cams later.

  Still have that clown of a Rufous Hummingbirrd here and early this
morning I could hear a distant Whip-poor-will as I was loading the feeders

Brush Freeman

Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas