[texbirds] Bastrop SP

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 12:26:30 -0500

..
  Did 10 points in Bastrop SP. this morning.  Mostly usual stuff but did
have a heard only Summer Tanager (FOS), GC Flycatcher and a Nashville
Warbler (FOS)...Expecting more warblers in the next series of points.
  Back at home an interesting habitat change as a result of drought.  The
2011 drought killed a huge number of trees here and those trees are now all
rotting at the base and falling over creating a troublesome, super dense
fire load that is impenetrable.   The view is opening up where there once
were tall trees so to speak.  Well for the 8-9th day I have had two male
Black-chinned Hummers which I know to be the same birds based on the
perches they guard and use.   This for me is unprecedented as the species
normally just passes thru quickly while these look to be staying put and
even displaying to females.....On the other hand the normal Ruby-throats
that were the default hummer here, now seem to be the ones that keep moving
on, rarely staying for more than a couple of hours. Subtle changes in
habitat....

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621