[texbirds] Bastrop Co.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 09:21:05 -0500

.
Around 7:30AM this morning there was a single Long-billed Curlew on the
Cedar Valley hay field a bit east of the Travis Co. line.  Also on the Lake
well south of the Cedar Valley Church at 969 and 1704 there was a mass of
white waders, likely mostly Cattle Egrets but this is too far to deal with
without a scope and I was not in serious birding mode..  I have a buddy
that said there were 7 Wood Storks on Shipp Lake NE of Smithville yesterday
but he did not say if north or south of the RR tracks.  Also a Tri-colored
Heron.
  Two people out of state to the north have told me they consider
southbound shorebirds to  be early.  One said this could be the result of
failed breeding attempts due to a colder than usual spring in the far north.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/