[texbirds] Peregrine in Austin today, Sat 06-28-14

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "drbirdie@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 00:51:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Texbirders,
I was surprised at about 3 this afternoon to spot a juvenile Peregrine Falcon
soaring over north-central Austin, south of Hwy 183 and between MoPac and
Burnet Rd.
I was doing chores, but was able to grab my camera and get a few decent photos
of the bird, which was heavily streaked below and had a narrowish moustachial
stripe. The flight feathers appear very neat but a few of the tail feathers are
a bit ratty, which is the only thing that makes it look other than a hatch-year
bird.
The Austin checklist shows only two previous June records for the species.
Photos will follow soon on the Flickr page.
Good birding ya'll,
Byron Stone, Austin