[texbirds] Re: Bar-tailed Godwit Sightings ? -- RFI

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jepbird@xxxxxxx>, "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 15:27:39 -0500

I join Jeff Patterson's appeal (TEXBIRDS 09/12/14) for information on any
recent sightings of the Bar-tailed Godwit in the Oso area of Corpus Christi.
On August 10, 2014 I saw and photographed this godwit when it was in a state
of heavy-duty molt from breeding plumage into nonbreeding plumage. It still,
though, retained, in however worn and, sometimes, disheveled state, quite a
bit of what appeared to be alternate (breeding) plumage, mixed with some
emergent nonbreeding feathers. I am considering the possibility of trying to
get photos of it in nonbreeding plumage, which would seem to be its current
state, based on photos of it that I have seen on line. Therefore, any
information on its current presence or absence in that area (or anywhere
else) would be appreciated, including very specific details of where it was
seen and the time of day (and/or tide) involved. Even information on the
status of wind at the time of the sighting might be helpful, if the wind
were very strong. Very current information likely would be most helpful,
especially given the weather system moving through this state. Information
of such kinds still might be of interest to a number of those using this
listserv. Failures to find the godwit also would be useful and appreciated,
especially if details are provided about where in the area and when the
fruitless
search(es) occurred. Thanks very much for any information that might be
supplied.

Rex Stanford
McAllen, TX