[texbirds] Checklists and abundance codes

  • From: Jim Sinclair <jim.sinclair@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:38:28 -0500

Abundance Codes
Most of us are familiar with Abundance Codes on checklists.  The ABA
publishes Abundance Codes for all species found in the ABA area, for
example.

Many site checklists also include abundance codes.

Regardless of the application, virtually all checklists that include
Abundance Codes assume that the code applies only to proper habitat and
proper season for that species.

Interpreting actual 'abundance' can be ambiguous, however.  It can be based
upon actual numbers of a given species that are present, or it can be based
upon the chances of actually seeing that species.  Although those two
criteria are related, they are not synonymous.

For example, Common Paraque (COPA) are, indeed, common in the LRGV in
proper habitat and season.  But, should a birder expect to see it on most
trips to the Valley?  no, it is not to be expected on most trips. (Unless
of course, they go to Estero Llano, where the staff usually has one or more
staked out!).

Conversely, the Tropical Parula (TRPA) is considered rare, yet is seen on
most tours to the Norias Division of the King Ranch - again because a few
individuals are "staked out".

I'm working pro bono on an ecotourism program for a major organization that
has multiple sites.  Part of the project involves creating checklists, and
I want to standardize the format across all sites.

Currently, I plan to use codes to represent the chance of seeing a
particular species (in season and in habitat) rather than the actual
abundance.

Under the criteria above the COPA would be listed as expected on fewer than
half the trips, while TRPA would be listed as being seen on most trips.

Offline feedback appreciated.

--
Jim Sinclair (TX-ESA)
TOS Life Member

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them." - Albert Einstein