[texbirds] Austin to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge to Goose Island to Choke Canyon

  • From: Sean Paul Kelley <spkelley@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 19:08:31 -0500

The Brunette and I drove to Aransas National Wildlife Refuge Friday, Goose
Island Saturday and Choke Canyon on Sunday.
We saw a sole Blackburnian Warbler at Aransas, a Prairie Falcon and the
usual assortment of shore birds. Driving back towards Fulton we saw a tree
full of Dickcissels and a field full of Painted Buntings, Indigo Buntings
and Blue Grosbeaks. So, the Blue Grosbeaks, if they have not been seen in
Austin yet, they are on the way.

Goose Island Saturday was lovely, as we had sixteen species of warblers
sitting at the blind and or walking up and down warbler way road in the
park.

Chestnut-sided
Blackburnian
Blue-winged
Golden-winged
Prothonotary
Tropical and Northern Parula
Tennessee
Kentucky
Canada
Nashville
American Redstart
Orange-crowned
Worm-eating
Yellow
Black and White
Yellow-breasted Chat

Why more people don't bird at Goose Island is beyond me--it's a lovely
place with excellent amenities. Driving back to Fulton we had a Belted
Kingfisher and a pair of Roseate Spoonbills, plus several Black-bellied
Whistlers in a front yard.

Driving back home to Austin today we stopped at Choke Canyon at at the
front entrance was a magnificent Vermillion Flycatcher and then towards the
boat ramp in a tall cypress tree I had excellent shots of a Blackburnian, a
Yellow Warbler, a Blue-headed Vireo, a mystery sparrow some wrens that were
not Bewick's or Carolina, a Great-crested Flycatcher and a mimicking Brown
Thrasher. We also saw a Harris' Hawk, Crested Caracara and Wild Turkey's.
We looked for the Green Jays that have been reported down there (of which I
have seen one and photographed it
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/5558766138/in/set-72157626346928814)
but didn't see them today.

You can see photos/highlights of the trip here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/seanpaulkelley/sets/72157633428102006/

Sean Paul Kelley
Central Austin