[texbirds] August 8th Texas Pelagic still needs a few good people!

  • From: "Garett Hodne" <garyhodne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Texbirds Posts'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 18:39:14 -0500

Hi Pelagic Fanatics and Texbirders,
The August 8th Texas Pelagic is getting close to reaching the minimum number
of people needed to be able to run this trip. But we still need a few more.
This will be a 12 hour trip as originally planned. I had asked The Osprey
folks about being able to extend it to 14 hours and while at first they
thought that was fine after they looked at their logistics a little more
they decided that they had too much else scheduled for that day already and
their captains would have to work way too long a day.

Our plan for this August trip is to take the same course that we ran on both
the fantastic September and October trips last year. Our August trip from
last year very regrettably suffered from some issues with the Osprey not
following our planned course. This was all resolved with the Osprey owner
following that August trip. Captain Bobby is once again our Pelagic trip
captain much to our relief. We chip in a little extra for the increased gas
costs of following our route which usually means heading more directly into
the prevailing seas and burning more gas. But it has been incredibly worth
it! On the last 3 Pelagics we've run Captain Bobby followed our course
precisely and this has resulted in 3 awesome Texas Pelagic trips! So if you
want an idea of what the August 8th trip might be like look at the trip
reports from September 20, 2014:

<http://texaspelagics.com/2014/09/23/trip-report-09-20-2014/>
http://texaspelagics.com/2014/09/23/trip-report-09-20-2014/

and October 25, 2014:
<http://texaspelagics.com/2014/10/29/trip-report-10-25-2014/>
http://texaspelagics.com/2014/10/29/trip-report-10-25-2014/

All the pelagic birds are out there in August we just need to make sure we
get out far enough to see them, and we will!

It's also worth noting that August is in the summer doldrums for winds,
meaning August trips are when we typically and on average encounter the
calmest seas. This makes spotting distant marine life much easier, and means
we can cruise faster and farther too.

These are all great reasons why you should sign-up for our August 8th trip.
I hope you'll be able to join us. All the registration information is
available here: <http://texaspelagics.com/register-2/>
http://texaspelagics.com/register-2/ But I'll be out of the country for two
weeks beginning on Friday, so please email me your intentions to participate
so I can keep up with registrations and make sure we have enough people to
make this trip go.

A couple of spots have opened up on the September 19th trip due to some
cancellations. But beyond that there are no other openings on any of our
upcoming summer trips except for August 8th.

Thank you and good seabirding,

Gary Hodne

<http://www.TexasPelacics.com> www.TexasPelacics.com

Director and Leader