[texbirds] Attwater NWR and 175 Lapland Longspurs

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 13:37:59 -0600

Decided to start my 2014 by looking for prairie birds at Attwater NWR.
Nothing too out of the ordinary on the refuge. However, just south of the
refuge along CR 210 (just north of its intersection with 1093) the old rice
fields where the geese had been congregating have been plowed.
On those fields I located a flock of 175 Lapland Longspurs. Definitely fun
birds and easy to find today as they were very vocal and moving around a
good bit close to the road. Searched the flock for about 30 minutes to see
if any other Longspur species were mixed in but did not find any.

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX