[texbirds] Anahuac yesterday

  • From: David McDonald <davidkmcd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 13:44:08 -0600

Hi Texbirders,

Spent a few hours yesterday at Anahuac in the overcast.

The most amazing find was a huge flock of Tree Swallows on the fence.
there must have been 200 - 300 birds perched and flying about.

Here is one section of fence...

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153984666

Here is another section with both strands of wire full.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153984667

There were even a number on the road.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153984668

I found my first ever White-tailed Hawk at Anahuac..this juvie.

http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/153984671

I saw a second one (an adult) near the visitor center as I was leaving.

When I got home I looked at the bird list and saw that these hawks
are 'common' in winter. LOL at never seeing one before in 20 years of
going to Anahuac.

Happy New Year to all.

David McDonald
Friendswood TX