[texbirds] Re: Another eBird location rant

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "antshrike1@xxxxxxx" <antshrike1@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 02:48:34 -0400

All -
Taking a big step backward and viewing the forest, not just a single tree
branch:

since it was ONE grassquit, that occurred through ONE viewing period along the
TX coast, does the precise eBird location REALLY matter?

Zoom the map back to view the entire country, and there is one dot just NE of
the coastal bend.   Isn't that enough to establish were the bird occurred?

Granted, if there had been multiple birds over multiple years, or a single bird
that occurred in multiple points as it toured TX, that would make the location
of the data points a different matter.

While I agree that it is good to be as precise as possible when initially
entering records into eBird, would spending (many) hours logging in corrections
really be justified?

Clay Taylor
Calallen (Corpus Christi) TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx