[texbirds] Angelina NF (longish)

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 19:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

Again was wide awake before the alarm went off, so instead  of going to
that dicey dirt road first thing, I decided to take the paved road  down to
Boykin Springs, stopping every half mile.  And what a treat:   Chuck-will’
s-widows right next to the car were almost drowned out by the  Cardinals, and I
was surprised that even a full hour before dawn you could see  the eastern
sky starting to light up!  But about two miles in (and in the  burned area,
yet), I was pleased as punch to hear the first Bachman’s Sparrow of  the
morning!  He was in the distance, but I was just happy to get  ‘im!

And I thank God a million times over that I came last night to check  the
area out, because there was neither sound nor sight of a Red-cockaded
Woodpecker all morning (and besides Boykin Springs, I stumbled upon another
area
north of SR 63 that had several nesting trees, but it was very quiet)!  A
pair of Belted Kingfishers rattled over the water, and there were tons of
what  I’m assuming were mostly Pine Warblers singing, as I did manage to see
one  (Chippies sound identical to my ear, but I didn’t see any of the latter).
  I heard some squeaking on the way out where the woodpeckers were the
night  before, but this time it turned out to be the Brown-headed Nuthatches
putting up  a fuss!

Susan Foster had given me coordinates for a territorial Bachman’s that she
knew about, and since the route I had mapped out went right by that
intersection  (I forgot to bring in the map, but I think the two roads were 326
and
327), and  sure enough, this one was very close!  Couldn’t get him to show
himself (he  was probably in plain sight but a little bird waaay up the tree
is next to  impossible for me to spot unless he moves) but was happy to get
a very nice  recording!  Making a turn I was thrilled to see two
Mississippi Kites on a  dead tree, and turning yet another corner had a
Black-and-white Warbler singing  loudly at another stop!  The road left the
Forest and
went through private  property at several spots, but hit the swallow jackpot at
the Baptist church  with gobs of Purple Martins and Tree Swallows on the
telephone lines!

The road I was on “T”ed with a paved road near a very open field where  a
Blue Grosbeak was singing (there were several dead trees, so I was wondering
 if a bad fire went through there at some point).  Things were quieting
down  by then, so I decided to close out the BBS-protocol and just head down to
some  of the shoreline spots to see what I could find.  The paved road “T”
ed with  R255, so I took that north hoping to find Ebenezer Park, but
overshot it and  ended up at Overlook Park!  It was a lovely view, but
relatively
birdless  except for Barn and Rough-winged Swallows and a singing Orchard
Oriole, but a  couple pulled in, saw that I was birding, and pointed me to a
road across the  street that takes you down to the Angelina River where Bald
Eagles are often  seen!  I thanked them profusely and headed down, and it
was indeed a lovely  scenic view.  No eagles, but did have a few Broadies
circling overhead,  more Mississippi Kites, and a couple of Great Blue Herons.

Went back up to the overlook to use the facilities and call my boss back
while enjoying a sandwich and trying to solve her problem (something about
crisis management while enjoying a stupendous view of Lake Rayburn that is
very  relaxing :-)), then headed to Ebenezer Park.  Picked up an Eastern
Towhee  that only did a couple of songs before shutting up, and while crawling
around  the area spotted a melanistic Eastern Gray Squirrel (I think they get
this far  south, anyway—didn’t look big enough for a Fox Squirrel)!  Over
at the boat  ramp had another stupendous view from a wooded, elevated spit,
where a Baltimore  Oriole and Blue Grosbeak were flopping around, but while
scanning over the lake  I happened to spot a distant "black in the middle and
white on both ends" blob  powering past the fishing boats!  Was very glad
to bag the Bald Eagle, even  if it was a distant view (and thankfully it was
an adult)!

Only had time for one more peek at the lake from the end of a dicey  road,
where all I picked up was a Pied-billed Grebe and a couple of spooky guys
who came tearing over in their boat, probably wondering what I was up to
(there  was a beat-up chair there, so maybe they were camping…)!  Headed to
Galveston after that, keeping an eye out for Swallow-tailed Kites as I was
driving right through the area everyone says they hang out (Liberty/Dayton  area
—BTW, I must have driven in and out of Liberty three or four times!!
Either there are several “Liberties” or the town is laid out really  weird…)

Rolled into Galveston with 61 species for the day.  BTW, had  a parakeet of
some kind fly over the intersection with nesting material in Texas  City (I
think it was); anyone know if anything besides Monk Parakeet would be
likely?

Bird List:

  Pied-billed  Grebe                      Podilymbus podiceps
Brown  Pelican                          Pelecanus occidentalis
Neotropic Cormorant
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Cattle  Egret                           Bubulcus ibis
Black  Vulture                          Coragyps atratus
Turkey  Vulture                         Cathartes aura
Mississippi  Kite                       Ictinia mississippiensis
Bald  Eagle                             Haliaeetus leucocephalus
Broad-winged  Hawk                      Buteo platypterus
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
Chuck-will's-widow                     Antrostomus carolinensis
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Belted  Kingfisher                      Megaceryle alcyon
Red-bellied  Woodpecker                 Melanerpes carolinus
Downy  Woodpecker                       Picoides pubescens
Pileated  Woodpecker                    Dryocopus pileatus
Eastern  Wood-Pewee                     Contopus virens
Great Crested  Flycatcher               Myiarchus crinitus
Eastern  Kingbird                       Tyrannus tyrannus
White-eyed  Vireo                       Vireo griseus
Red-eyed  Vireo                         Vireo olivaceus
Blue  Jay                               Cyanocitta cristata
American  Crow                          Corvus brachyrhynchos
Northern Rough-winged  Swallow         Stelgidopteryx  serripennis
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Tree  Swallow                           Tachycineta bicolor
Barn  Swallow                           Hirundo rustica
Cliff Swallow
Carolina  Chickadee                     Poecile carolinensis
Tufted  Titmouse                        Baeolophus bicolor
Brown-headed  Nuthatch                  Sitta pusilla
Carolina  Wren                          Thryothorus ludovicianus
Blue-gray  Gnatcatcher                  Polioptila caerulea
Eastern  Bluebird                       Sialia sialis
Brown  Thrasher                         Toxostoma rufum
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Black-and-white  Warbler                Mniotilta varia
Hooded  Warbler                         Setophaga citrina
Pine  Warbler                           Setophaga pinus
Yellow-breasted  Chat                   Icteria virens
Eastern  Towhee                         Pipilo erythrophthalmus
Bachman's  Sparrow                      Peucaea aestivalis
Summer  Tanager                         Piranga rubra
Northern  Cardinal                      Cardinalis cardinalis
Blue  Grosbeak                          Passerina caerulea
Indigo  Bunting                         Passerina cyanea
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Common  Grackle                         Quiscalus quiscula
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Brown-headed  Cowbird                   Molothrus ater
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
Baltimore  Oriole                       Icterus galbula
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus

61 SPECIES
So far:  168 SPECIES

Mary Beth Stowe
McAllen,  TX