[texbirds] Anahuac today - Eagle-arama

  • From: David McDonald <dkmmdpa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 17:54:53 -0600

Hi Texbirders,

After finding the eagles behind the Snow Geese flock last weekend, I
headed back this morning.

On the entrance road, a large raptor was in a dead tree. I thought it
was a Red-tailed Hawk from a distance. The car ahead of me pulled off
the road right beneath the bird and it flew off. It was huge - a
juvie eagle right by the road!

I was a little upset to miss the photo and sort of not paying
attention as I continued on the entrance road. Another 100 yards
farther, I saw a raptor on top of a power pole by the road. Not
thinking, I continue driving and OMG it had a white head and tail. As
I passed under it I came to my senses, a second eagle right on the
road!. I stopped the car, but he flew away and I didn't get a good photo.

The first trip around shoveler pond, I saw 7 eagles on the ground
behind the flock. The second time around there were 10 birds
including 2 with white heads. That is the number Joe Kennedy reported
a week ago. 2 of them were adults.
One in the photo had his wings up....   http://www.pbase.com/image/158589105
That is the most eagles I have seen ever.

Other raptors were Northern Harriers of both sexes, Kestrels,
Red-tails, Caracara (just 1 seen today). Here is a White-tailed Kite
hunting by the visitor
center.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158589106

A Krider's Red-tailed has returned to FM 1985. I didn't see him last
weekend. This time he is between 562 and the entrance road, just
before the farm with all the silos on right
side.....      http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158589107

Ducks were there in large number and lots species. There were many
Ring-necked perhaps 25, After getting Joe kennedy's advice to look at
the wing pattern of the scaup, I checked all the scaups as they flew,
and they seemed to be 100% lesser to my untrained eyes.

New species of ducks this week were a pair of Buffleheads, and a
single female Common Goldeneye.

I did see this King Rail at the edge of the reeds, a nice
find.....   http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158589108

I finally saw the Vermilion Flycatcher by the visitor center, but it
obviously isn't the same bird as last year, as this is a first year
male, just partially red. I haven't seen this plumage
before....  http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158589112
And the front view...  http://www.pbase.com/davidmcd/image/158589109
He looks sort of moth-eaten.

Good birding and Happy Holidays.