[texbirds] A. robins and C. waxwings Hays County

  • From: Kurt Johnson <naturalister@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:27:15 -0600

Not our first of either for the year, but this weeks winds seem to have
blown in large numbers of both the robins and the waxwings.  Flocks of both
enjoying the water troughs in the yard past couple days.  Lots of
roadrunners this year.  Thought we might have another dry windy winter and
always worry about fire so had the standing dead weeds mowed flat couple
months back, wasn't anything green in the pasture anyway.  The roadrunners
seem to like it. Had 4 at one time running around and under the truck, and
another two in sight at the far end of the pasture at the same time.
Crows, Caracaras, and hawks seem to like the pasture.  Had a red-shouldered
hawk scavenging a deer skin and head one day and approaching in truck
realized its talons were stuck in the skin and it took a bit to free
itself.  Killdeer and pipits, bluebirds and e. phoebe as usual in the
pasture this year.  We relocated the phone line and poles out of the
pasture this summer so for the first time in 7 years, our Kestrel is not on
post.

Great-horned Owl in the woods in front of the house.  Has come to water in
the daytime in front yard which created a mad but too late scramble for
camera.

Still waiting for the fence to come down at Aquarena Springs.  You can walk
the perimeter of the fence to get to the wetlands walk but really missing
the days of whipping into the lot and parking at the entrance to the
wetlands and making a quick loop on the floating walk to see who is about.
 Always nice to have a place where one can jump out and see 30-40 species
of bird in 15 minutes without ever getting 100 yards from the car.  Made
trips into town to HEB for milk or Laundry Soap a lot more appealing.

Kurt J. Hays County, just outside San Marcos