[texbirds] Granger Lake and NE Travis County 1-13-12

  • From: Sam Fason <scfason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:31:51 -0600

Today I led a Travis Audubon Society Field Trip to Granger Lake. Despite
the howling wind that persisted all day, we came away with some good birds.
Highlights were:
All 8 Whooping Cranes. starting at 7:45, within 5 minutes, all 8 birds flew
over Sore Finger WMA headed north. The birds were seen well from CR 352
throughout the morning as well. photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8379483306/in/photostream/
The Burrowing Owl on CR 357 was sitting back up on the concrete pile today,
after being MIA for about a month
We had an adult Bald Eagle from the Granger Dam.
A nice Common Loon was on the lake, viewed from Friendship Park
A LeConte's Sparrow offered good views to everyone at Friendship Park
Horned Larks were abundant, with birds being seen on CR 360, CR 359, Aubrey
Messer Rd, and Alligator Road.
The adult Red-headed Woodpecker continues at Macedonia Cemetery, seen very
well. photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8379495322/in/photostream/
A White-eyed Vireo was a nice surprise at Willis Creek Park, heard by all
and seen by several. photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8379481310/in/photostream/surprisingly,
this was flagged by ebird. Also, a Fox Sparrow singing his
full song at Willis Creek Park was a treat
A Merlin with a freshly killed Meadowlark gave a brief but fantastic look
on CR 360
A lowlight of the day was the lack of Longspurs or Mountain Plovers, but
with the strong wind I was not hopeful. The wind also seemed to keep the
Short-eared Owls down at dawn, none flying at Sore Finger this AM (although
Ray Steelman had one fly in front of his car on 971 this morning around 7,
though)
After 2:00, most people peeled off to go home, but I went to Northeast
Travis County with Karen Collins and Terry Banks. Longspurs were the
original target, but the wind was  even harsher than it was out at granger,
so we only tried for maybe 30 minutes on Wells Road and Lane, Carlson Lane,
and Felder Road. However, Carlson Lane was very productive. Best birds were
definitely the Red-naped Sapsucker (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8379480564/in/photostream/ ) who
only flew in when we were just getting ready to leave, and a nice female
Eastern Towhee (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/57637231@N04/8379580252/in/photostream/ ) that
responded to Screech Owl tape and gave us some good looks, albeit brief.
Also,13 Sandhill Cranes flew over Carlson.

Good Birding,
Sam Fason, Austin