[texbirds] A few migrants in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 10:07:26 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I spent four hours at Clapp Park this morning - for about two hours in the
company of Ross Rickett and for about two hours in the company of Steve
Collins.  As both lads have incredible hearing and eyes capable of detecting
the flick of a gnat's wings at fifty paces I don't think we missed much.  This
is relevant as the park looks fantastic for migrants - foliage is lush, water
levels are great, and there are bugs everywhere - and we detected amazingly few
migrants.

There were some wader highlights, including 1 Great Egret, 4 Snowy Egrets, 1
Green Heron, and 2 Yellow-crowned Night Herons.

The only shorebird noted was a single Killdeer.

I did have 2 Common Nighthawks flying over the arboretum when I arrived at
first light.

Hummingbirds were fairly easy to come across but all seven that I got good
looks at were Black-chinned Hummingbirds.

Songbirds were in short supply, given the habitat.  Highlights included 2
Willow Flycatchers, 1 Dusky Flycatcher, 1 empid, 1 thrush (probably Swainson's
Thrush but not seen well enough to call definitively), 1 waterthrush (probably
Northern but not seen well enough to call definitively),  1 whatever they are
calling Oporornids these days (probably a MacGillivray's Warbler but did not
see head well enough to rule out Mourning Warbler), 4 Yellow Warblers, and 2
Wilson's Warblers, and 1 male Blue Grosbeak.

No Olive-sided Flycatchers, no Western Wood Pewees, no Least Flycatchers, no
vireos, no House Wrens,  only one thrush, very few warblers, no tanagers, no
Black-headed or Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, no buntings - not a particularly good
showing for this site at this time of year.

The habitat is great but we need some weather to come along and induce a few
birds to tarry.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock