[texbirds] 8 Texas Terns - quiz - answer

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 13:50:52 -0400 (EDT)

Although I did not get answer with all 8 correct IDs I had some very
interesting emails that helped me a lot to understand what traits are looked at

when people are checking some terns in photos. Thanks a lot for that. Of
course  IDing terns, and many other birds, are much easier in the field and not
from one  single photo. On the other hand when checking some record shots
that’s all we  have sometimes.

So here is the link to the same composite photo but with tern IDs  included
in the photo.

http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/151126669/original

Perhaps some will still have different opinions. If so it would be  great
to share it, perhaps publicly, and provide some analysis that would only
help novice birders as those can greatly benefit from that. If experienced
birders have sometimes doubts when looking at terns I am sure novice birder is
facing much greater challenge in which the field guide is not always
providing  adequate help. Birds have wings but sometimes it looks suspicious to
me
that  somebody else saw a great number of terns from one species and a few
or none of  another one in one spot that I also visited on the same day and
my observations  were totally different. Perhaps coincidence?

I am glad a few had fun with the quiz - I think terns will always provide
that (fun) and, as most can be found easy on every trip to the shore, one
can  stay occupied every time one spots some terns.

Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field