[texbirds] 2014 Yellow Rail Walks at Anahuac NWR

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 08:07:43 -0600

By my reckoning this will be the 19th season I've done Yellow Rail walks at
Anahuac NWR.
My schedule this your will be:

Saturday March 29, 2014
7 am and 4 pm
Saturday April 5. 2014
7 am and 4 pm
Sunday April 6, 2014
7 am and 4 pm
Sunday April 13, 2014
7 am and 4 pm
Saturday April 19, 2014
7 am and 4 pm
Sunday April 20, 2014
7 am and 4 pm

No reservation is needed. Please bring waterproof foot gear, Rubber knee
boots are recommended. We have a limit number of loaners. Expect very
strenuous walking in standing water and mud (but not deep). Expect lots of
mosquitoes. Expect someone in the group to face plant in the mud.

Expect to have a VERY memorable experience though, lol

How good are chances of a Yellow Rail? Well I've missed less than 20 times
in 19 years with a similar schedule. Except for one really rough drought
year I've never missed more than 2 times in a season.

Looks are going to of birds flushing and flying away from us. While you are
welcome to try photography, It will be quite a challenge at best.

If you are not up to the walk, you are more than welcome to join us and
watch from the road. Most are successful doing that and getting a
definitive look at a Yellow Rail. To date I've have 4 people in
\wheelchairs actually get a life Yellow Rail this way. Certainly many more
who just could not manage the strenuous walk have also had an life bird
this way.

--
David Sarkozi
Houston, TX