[texbirds] 14 species of shorebirds, both Godwits in Ellis County

  • From: Ted Drozdowski <muddykayak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 16:01:41 -0500

Hello,
     I had a pretty good morning at the Cut-off Road Sod farm in Eastern
Ellis County. I found 14 shorebird species including 7 Marbled Godwits and
4 Hudsonian Godwits.

I did not have large numbers at Cut-off Road but this is what I tallied.

Black-necked Stilt - 4
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 10
Hudsonian Godwit - 4
Marbled Godwit - 7
Stilt Sandpiper - 3
Least Sandpiper - 11
White-rumped Sandpiper - 6
Dunlin - 11
Pectoral Sandpiper - 3
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 1
Dowitcher sp. - 15
Wilson's Phalarope 3

There were more shorebirds on the north side of the intersection of Hwy 34
and Cut-off Road but there is heavy truck traffic, dust, 80 mph traffic,
and fewer birds.

Along Cut-off Road, the birds were in a large flooded area of the farm on
the west side of Cut-off road, maybe a half mile after you turn off Hwy 34.

   I spent most of my morning on the Ellis County portion of Wolf Springs
Road where I had a Pileated Woodpecker and also two singing empids: Least
and Alder Flycatcher.  Lots of buntings, Blue Grosbeak, Yellow-breasted
Chat, and hordes of Dickcissels along Wolf Springs.

     I ran into a local, (not a birder, but a master naturalist) who said
there were Hudsonian Godwits the last few days at the Wolf Springs sod farm
in Dallas County but they were not there today. I went and checked it
anyway and the few birds that were present were distant, so I quickly moved
on to Cut-off Road.

     Most of the birds were fairly close to the road when I was there
during the late morning, but I'd imagine the light will probably be bad
during late afternoon/early evening along Cut-off Road.
     Cut-off road is 12 miles northwest of Ennis.  Take Hwy 34 northwest
out of Ennis.  Cut-off road is the last right you can make before crossing
over the Trinity River and entering Kaufman County.

Good Birding,

Ted Drozdowski
Lake Waxahachie
Ellis County