[texbirds] Bushtits

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 15:56:31 -0500

I hadn't seen this species (Bushtits) out at South Llano River State Park in a
while but observed 5 today in one big happy family group. It looked like
parents feeding the three young ones as they moved along. This was near the
Primitive Camping Area near deer blind #9. There is a small, barely flowing
spring close by that always has a puddle of water and it attracts birds as the
weather gets hotter. Also in the immediate area were Golden-cheeked Warblers,
Black-capped Vireo, several Black & White Warblers, calling Northern Bobwhite
and Scott's Oriole. The only migrant I picked up was a single Yellow Warbler
but I had 3 more of that species in the large pecans at the end of Agarita
Street in Junction. Still at the state park I observed a soaring Zone-tailed
Hawk right at the park entrance off of H377 at 1:05 p.m.
The Wastewater Ponds are still attracting migrating shorebirds. Today I had at
least 50 Wilson's Phalaropes, Semipalmated Sandpipers (3), Least Sandpipers,
Lesser Yellowlegs, Pectoral Sandpipers, Baird's and even 2 White-rumped
Sandpipers. 3 Yellow-headed Blackbirds were flying around amongst several
hundred Cliff Swallows.

It was kind of strange at the park. I started up the trail at 11:00 a.m. and
hardly any bird noise. Then, at noon, everything picked up. Going into the
summer pattern early morning will now be best (sunrise till 10:00 a.m.). Ebird
has the complete list.

Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.