[techtalk] Re: Whats in your toolkit ?

  • From: Andrew Davidson <andrew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 20:17:11 +0000

At 19:02 09/03/2004, you wrote:

>He managed to part the CPU and heatsink using - a vice and
>a hair drier :-)
>
>I don't have those items in my toolkit - maybe I should !

Heh heh.  Remind me of my last job.  I used to do a big proportion of
printer repairs.  Most of them Laserjets and old Oki dot-matrix printers.

I used to have a claw hammer in the car for two reasons - one was to get
the starter unstuck on the car, and second was to drive out the split pin
that held the cog on the end of the platen on the Oki printers.

There was one particular Vauxhall dealership in Bessbrooke (a small village
on the border with S. Ireland) who used to go through platen cogs on a
weekly basis.  The owner of the dealer always arrived in to work to find me
on the forecourt with a hammer and screwdriver, beating away at the guts of
his printer.  He used to laugh his leg off. Some of his customers gave me a
few odd looks, too.  I can't imagine what the army people in the
watchtowers thought. :)

Andrew